Some practices to maintain high yields of soybean to improve the economic status of farmers in west Africa. These were carefully prepared to ensure that any farmer who wants to improve his soybean farm will not have any trouble growing the crops. Soybean too is known to provide natural milk which is also an important source for nutrients to improve the human body. The practices will help farmers to grow enough crops to feed thier families and for commercial purposes.
Basic Steps For High Yielding Soybean
Plan ahead and prepare the land well
Rotate soybean with maize or sorghum for soil fertility benefits and disease control.
Select fertile to moderately fertile land, with no water logging.
- Prepare land well to create a uniform seedbed with no weeds.
- Obtain SYMPAL (0-23-16+) or another proven fertilizer for your soybean. Do not apply nitrogen to the soil as soybean nodules will fix nitrogen from the air.
- Obtain BIOFIX inoculant and store it in a cool, dark and dry place.
- Obtain quality seeds of the soybean variety recommended to your area and acceptable to target markets.
- Test the seeds for germination and plant only when germination is above 80%.
Plant on time and at the proper spacing and depth
- Plant on time, when the soil is moist at onset of first rains; roots will not grow into dry soil and will not survive in water logged soils.
- Inoculate soybean with BIOFIX inoculant using the right procedure for maximum N2-fixation.
- Plant three cm deep right after inoculation at a row spacing of 45 cm with 5 cm between seeds. This spacing requires between 20 to 25 kg of seed per acre depending on seed size.
- Apply SYMPAL fertilizer at 50 kg per acre and ensure clusters of fertilizer do not touch seeds.
Closely manage and monitor crop development …
- Inspect the field regularly for presence of weeds, pests and diseases.
- Keep the field clean of weeds by weeding well and on time.
- Use recommended fungicides and insecticides according to instructions.
- Spray recommended fungicide at recommended rates, first at flowering and spray once again as recommended, usually 21 days after the first spraying.
- If insect is observed it is not recommended to spray damaged leaves, but if pods are being damaged, particularly by flower thrips, seek advice on treating with insecticide.
- Maintain application records (date, target pest, pesticide name, and area treated).
Harvest on time and clean the grain to industry standards …
- Harvest early when 90-100% of pods are brown and dry, but before they are brittle and shatter.
- Dry harvested crop in the open sun but protect it from the rain.
- Thresh and separate soybean seeds on a clean surface such as a tarpaulin.
- Clean the grain and re-dry to a moisture content of 11-12%. Soybeans with greater than 13% moisture are likely to mold, and grain below 11% is subject to cracking.
- Ensure that soybean grain does not contain live insects, has no objectionable odors and contains no foreign materials, particularly small stones.
Protect grain quality and market your soybeans …
- Put clean, dry grains in clean bags, do not use recycled fertilizer, pesticide or other chemical bags. N2Africa marketing project grain bags, however, may be reused up to five times.
- Store grain soybean in a cool, dry and ventilated place.
- Deliver grain to your nearest project collection point on time. Every farmer is held responsible for meeting buyer’s grain quality standards.
- Report information on soybean variety and payment method to collection point manager.
- Allow seven days for payment of soybeans after their acceptance at collection point.